- This blog is primarily a crusade against bullshit. According to philosopher Harry Frankfurt, bullshitting "involves making assertions without paying attention to anything except what it suits one to say." The cost of excessive bullshitting is that both the bullshitter and her audience lose contact with reality. While those on the left surely produce their share of bullshit, I believe that the overwhelming majority of it is produced by those on the right, and combating it is my focus here.
- I value science and reason. One of our greatest enemies in this country is the failure to value and engage in critical thinking.
- I believe in consistency in one's beliefs and behavior; I consequently loathe hypocrisy, my own included.
- I believe that it is time that we stop demonizing those with whom we disagree and discuss our disagreements in a rational and respectful manner, though I also believe that those who willingly employ irrational means of persuasion in such discussions deserve no respect.
- I am a feminist. According to the version of feminism I embrace, we ought to strive collectively for the social, political, economic, and legal equality of the sexes, and it is appropriate that government, being an instrument of the people, play a limited role in achieving such equality.
- I am a fan of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series.
- I believe that Electric Light Orchestra's Out of the Blue is one of the greatest albums ever made.
- I love reading maps; consequently my knowledge of geography is perhaps better than average.
I call myself "Φ" because I wish to blog anonymously: I don't want this blog to become an issue at work. "Φ,"pronounced phi, is a letter of the Greek alphabet which is used as a symbol of philosophy, something in which I have had a deep, life-long interest.View my profile